Mathematics is exciting, enjoyable, and can surprise you, right?
To help students to experience that when they do maths in the classroom, ACEMS has helped foster and grow a program called 'MathsCraft'.
MathCraft is a program designed to introduce to students in years 5 to 10 to the ‘doing’ of mathematics like, well, a mathematician!
What started out as one teacher’s idea with his students has grown with ACEMS support. MathsCraft now offers teacher professional development workshops and even a five-day immersive workshop where teachers get to experience what it’s like to be a student again.
In this episode, we talk to three teachers in South Australia who’ve gone through that immersive workshop and are now introducing MathsCraft concepts into some of their teaching.
We also explore the recently introduced ‘MathsCraft Curriculum', a supplement for teachers to use in their classrooms.
- Alastair Lupton, Teacher at Adelaide Botanic High School, Adelaide, SA
- Adam Starrs, Teacher at Woodcroft College, Morphettvale, SA
- Deb Woodard‑Knight, Teacher at Walford Anglican School for Girls, Hyde Park, SA
- Professor Nigel Bean, ACEMS Associate Investigator
- MathsCraft Website: https://www.mathscraft.org/