ACEMS members have access to a wide range of mentoring events via their home nodes and the various professional societies and related organisations. Members are encouraged to participate in these events as well as the activities offered through ACEMS.
ACEMS facilitates a range of mentoring activities for its members, through individual meetings, cross-node visits, online forums, workshops and conferences, and Centre-scale retreats. ACEMS members interact with other members from different nodes to discuss research talks, research posters and mentoring talks at the three ACEMS annual retreats (student, postdoc and main), at ACEMS workshops and conferences.
ACEMS plans to enrich and expand the existing mentoring activities.
The ACEMS Mentoring Plan has four main aims:
- To engender a community of academic and non-academic support amongst its members;
- To facilitate discussion and advice about broad professional issues;
- To develop skills in areas such as leadership, public speaking and communication; and
- To encourage a life-long awareness of, and participation in, mentoring.
ACEMS 7-Step Mentoring Plan
- An ACEMS Alumni Program
- Formalise ACEMS individual-level mentoring Programs
- Next-Level-Up Mentoring Program
- Cross-Node Mentoring Program
- Mentoring events at ACEMS workshops and retreat
- The ACEMS Mentoring Seminar Series
- Encourage an informal online mentoring forum on Slack #mentoring
- Identify national and international engagement opportunities
- A mentoring program for ACEMS Professional staff
ACEMS 2018 Mentoring Series
- JUST OUT: Our Podcast with ACEMS Chief Investigator Louise Ryan (UTS): Moving on from ACEMS, and applying for jobs both inside and outside of academia: https://acems.org.au/conversation-louise-ryan
- Coming up in July: Giving a presentation - the differences between seminars, lectures, conference presentations, etc - Prof Matt Roughan, Adelaide
Previous Mentoring Sessions
Previous mentoring sessions were recorded and are now on video (must be an ACEMS member to access)