13 - 22 August
Take part in our Citizen Science challenge with the ultimate 1st prize holiday adventure to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef, hosted by master-reef guides teaming with Reef Today filmmakers.
August 13: Celebratory Launch
- Launch event – online
- Special guests include reef-loving scientists, reef-guides, and filmmakers – sharing their stories, images, science, and adventures – including with citizen scientists
- Learn about the “Virtual Reef Diver” citizen science challenge – which you can join to help protect the reef, learn new skills and knowledge, and possibly win awesome prizes (for the top citizen science adults and the best Queensland school class) – including the 1st prize ultimate holiday adventure to the Great Barrier Reef
August 14-22: Citizen Science Challenge
- During National Science Week (August 14-22), individuals and teams can participate in the Great Barrier Reef Citizen Science Challenge to help our reef, have fun learning, and potentially win individual and team prizes!
- To get involved, first sign-up with via this EVENTBRITE PAGE to register as an individual or for a team (e.g., school class or community group)
Then, participants can get a free Virtual Reef Diver classify account, to start learning about, and classifying, reef images (to help our scientists improve coral reef monitoring, modelling, and predictions of reef health)
Participants can classify images on their Virtual Reef Diver account as many and at any times between August 14-22, and these will get counted in your individual or team scores.
- Eligible Queensland participants can win prizes! The category winners, determined by factors including the number, accuracy, and difficulty of classifications during National Science Week, will be announced August 23
Here's a Google folder with posters and images to promote the above initiatives.